...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, November 2, 2009

BFF Forever

I realize that adding the "forever" after BFF is redundant, but I want to emphasize the "forever forever" part.

I have a great friend coming into town this weekend that I haven't seen in a long time. I've been thinking about her, how long we've been friends, and the path life has taken for us...I love her. She's my forever friend. The kind of friend you can not see or talk to for ages, and then you pick up right where you left off. All this led me to thoughts about friendship in general. Who you trust. Who you don't. Who the "users" are. There are those who need you to be their friend, but you don't really want to let them be yours.

I admit, I'm not one for titles and labels. In my adult life, I have only ever referred to one person as my BFF. If I feel particularly affectionate toward someone, I might refer to them as my "great friend" or "my best girlfriend" or something of that nature. But there is a lot to be said for the BFF. Can you have more than one? Is the title really necessary? I'll let you ponder these things, while I move on to my top ten list.

The top 10 things it takes to be a BFF (or at least mine, anyway)

10. A good sense of humor. I like to OLOL, and odds are, if you're my BFF, I'm gonna make fun of you. Return the favor whenever possible, and I'll know you love me too.
9. Honesty. A good friend will always tell you the truth in love. "I love you in Jesus' name, but you're being really selfish right now."
8. A little bit of class. See number 9. It always helps when you're "telling the truth in love" to say it nicely. No one likes a meany.
7. Integrity. This requires having a strong constitution that you live your life by. This one is my most favorite of them all. It means you don't lie or cheat. No funny business. No question marks over your head. If I look at you and there is a question mark hanging over your head about something, sorry. You're can't be on the BFF list anymore.
6. Faithfulness. You don't change. You have to be stedfast. I have to know that what I see is what I get, and there aren't any surprises. I don't like surprises. Keep my secrets.
5. Loyalty. You have to have my back, even when I'm wrong and stupid. You can tell me how wrong and stupid I am all day long (see number 9 again) but you have to stand by me.
4. Forgiveness. I make mistakes. But I know how to offer a good apology, and I'm gonna need some grace sometimes. (See number 8).
3. Selflessness. Being my BFF means sometimes, you'll have to put yourself aside and do what I want - or give me what I need.
2. Kindness. As previously mentioned, there will be mistakes made and forgiveness needed but you don't get to be mean just because you're having a bad day or you don't feel good. That's lame. I love you the way you are - but don't be a selfish meany.
1. Love. I Cor. 13:13 Three things will last forever - faith, hope and love - and the greatest of these is love. If I ever get a tattoo, that's what it will say - faith, hope and love...those are the things that last. To paraphrase Francis Chan, when you love someone, you'll do anything for them and you look forward to being with them.

I realize my top 10 list is comprised of mostly buzz words...but I like to look at it. These are the things I look for in a BFF, but also all the things I have to offer.

5 comments:

  1. You must realize that with someone strong in their convictions is heavy and intense to someone with little to no convictions. Someone with convictions, integrity, character, etc will "wear" on those that don't have those characteristics. Hence you will have those "friends" that will come and go depending on how much they can take of you in general. It will be those that "truly get you" that will stick and be life-long friends.
    The person you mentioned above is one of those; those that truly gets you.
    Just keep on the hunt using her as a litmus for the standard at which you let candidates in to the inner core.
    That friend may be miles away but that doesn't mean you let users, takers, well-intentioned people in just because that spot is physically vacant.
    Stay the course - it's worth holding out for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at "good sense of humor."

    But I think you're great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think BFF's are hard to come by, so if you have one/find one you should hold on with all you've got. This is a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (not from Kay, but from the BFF who is sitting on your couch waiting for you to come pick me up for church) I love you....FOREVER! Your are my BFF. I love that we can just pick up where we left off, that is my favorite thing about our relationship. You are your "list" to me and I can't wait for you to finally get here so we can worship our great Heavenly Father together...now hurry! Love you! C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm slow to the punch on this one, but I give you 10 out of 10 on your list above. :)

    ReplyDelete