...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Thursday, September 24, 2009

How The Biggest Loser Made Me Feel Small

So a lady from Kaufman is on this season of The Biggest Loser. I didn’t catch the first episode last week, but I do from time to time watch the show, and knowing that there was a person from Kaufman on it prompted me to tune in. Evidently she has an amazing story - I was intrigued.

I’ll start by saying that I do Jillian Michaels‘ Thirty Day Shred at least three times a week. I have never been a person who works out, but at 31 years of age, I finally decided I needed to work at being healthy. Sometime at the end of July, when Gav and I got back from vacation, I got serious about exercising. I was working out five days a week until school started. Now I’m down to three, but still feeling really good about it. I have never been “over weight” but I do struggle with bad eating habits, and I gain weight really easily. Growing up, I watched my mom gain and lose weight over and over...and being built like her, I never wanted to struggle the way I saw her struggle. I also want to set a good example for Gav that he grow up eating healthy foods and making exercise a part of his life.

Jillian Michaels is down right mean. She screams, she yells, she pushes...but her stuff works! So many people I know personally can testify to her Thirty Day Shred. I’m one of them. Watching The Biggest Loser the other night, I didn’t see her do much yelling and cursing, but I did have an intimate look into those peoples lives. I admit it. I sat on my couch and cried for them. I felt so small and selfish, all the times I have thought of myself and the pound or two that I wanted to lose. I have never struggled the way those people were struggling.

For some reason, the world takes satisfaction in seeing people fail. We have seen how people go on the show and lose weight, only to gain it back when the show is over. We see their pictures on the internet. Their failure, their humiliation, displayed for everyone to see. Watching that show reminded me - I’m not the only one hurting. I’m not the only one in need. The lady from Kaufman? Evidently, she lost her family in an accident. And to see her smile and be an encouragement to others was an inspiration to me. So I prayed over them. I prayed those people would be healed from their disease, whatever it is that makes them over weight. That they would have power over it and not let it control them. There was so much passion and so much emotion and hurt in them. I could relate to them, even though I have never been in their shoes. Everyone has hurts and struggles. I have had moments in my own life, where I have wondered, “when am I gonna get my turn at happiness?” Will I watch this show every week? Probably not. Will I pray over them every week? I probably won’t do that either. But maybe somewhere, there’s somebody who’s praying for people like me...and their prayers will make me stronger, the way I hope mine helped the people on that show.

1 comment: