...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Where I Am Today

I posted some personal goals a few months back, and need to affirm where I am with them.

Here they are again:

1. Enroll in fall classes DONE
2. Get new computer for school DONE
3. Finish G$'s scrapbook from kindergarten (soon!)
4. Begin online scrapbooking (see "to do" #2 first) (after #3!)
5. Invite my lost friend to church. (Haven't done this one yet)
6. Paint the upstairs of my apartment. DONE
7. Spend more qt with G$. DONE
8. Walk the dog. Ok, So I don't have the dog anymore...

I've been nervously excited about going back to school. Yesterday was the first afternoon of class. I walked onto campus - no wait - first of all...I swung by the Apple store to return a bag, then I went to the bookstore and bought books, then I went to the student center and got my i.d. and parking pass and THEN I made it to campus. The campus seems to have doubled in size since the last class I took in 2003. I was lost. I paid $125 for a parking sticker, drove around for 20 minutes, and finally parked on a meter and paid another $3 so I wouldn't be late to class. In my mind, it's not going great, but I'm trying to play it cool. I get out of my car and start walking...now this is the first time I've taken a regular day class at SMU. All of my classes have been in the evening, and so most of the students have been working class and not the regular student body. The campus is flooded with students. All beautiful people. Seriously. All beautiful. And I never felt so plain vanilla. With crows feet.

I get to class, and the professor and I are the only ones over the age of 21. This is where the tables turned. I'm the oldest student in the class, but I also realize they are all babies. They know nothing. The professor is talking about atonement, resurrection, exclusivism and they know nothing of what he speaks. Wow. I accepted Christ at the age of 7 and I have never known what it feels like to live in total darkness like this. I was amazed at what they didn't know about God. How do you win and entire class over in Jesus' name? I'm not sure yet...

I'm sure tonight will be another adventure. History. With 14 required readings. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. That post reminded me of the first time I dropped Steve off for graduate classes at Baylor. We had just lost the last few dollars to our name to his "student fee" and I was "dropping him off" due to our one-car status. We turned the corner to campus and I think we both audibly gasped at the amount of students walking around. It was huge and there were SO many people (KIDS). He ended up doing great and SO WILL YOU!!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to do great!! So excited for you! I think SMU has a higher ratio of pretty people than most colleges do. But I know you and your gorgeousness fit right in.
    And I hated the stress of campus parking. "Is this the right space for my permit? Am I going to get a ticket? Am I parked so far away that I'll never find my car again?" Oh the stress!

    ReplyDelete