...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, December 21, 2009

A staff conversation about peace

For me, there is no peace like the peace of Christmas. Throughout the year, it's easy to find little moments with God - be it in prayer, worship, at a concert or talking with a friend - moments where we realize God is there and He can calm any storm. But it's at Christmas when I can feel His peace the most. I find it at the Christmas Eve service, surrounded by friends, all holding up a candle - I find in my living room sitting in only the light from the Christmas tree - I find it riding in the car, listening to Christmas worship music. This overwhelming feeling of peace is my favorite thing about Christmas. Peace in the belief that God is watching over me, provisioning for me, and that He really does know my name, every tear I've cried, every laugh I've shared and every thought and dream I've ever had in my heart. I believe we can look to the way He came, to know how He wants us to feel at Christmas. He could have come as a king would come, but instead came quietly with no fanfare - peaceful, quiet and still.

I heard a verse today as I was listening to some audio (Beth, wink) and it was Colossians 2:5 - "...I'm a long way off, true, and you may never lay eyes on me, but believe me, I'm on your side, right beside you." While it's Paul writing this to the people of Colossae, it's like that with Christ, too. He's on our side. He's right beside us. Calming us, giving us peace. Not only does he do that for us, He wants us to KNOW he does it, and believe that He's there.

Another thing about peace that keeps coming to mind is peacemaking. Matthew 5:9 - "God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God." Peace is so much preferred in our lives over drama and conflict. I read a book several years back called Peacemaking for Families and it really left an impression on me. So much so that I have gone back to it multiple times to read what it says about the steps to a proper apology, and most helpful for me, how to really give forgiveness. I have seen people all my life destroy relationships because people don't want to or even know how to apologize. Then of course there is the other side of that, where people withhold their forgiveness. I decided a long time ago that I don't want to live a life of bondage in un-forgiveness and bitterness. So to that end, the Bible says when we strive to be peacemakers, we will be called His children!

Father, for my friends this Christmas, I ask for the gift of peace. A peace that passes all understanding. A peace so great and deep that we know it can only come from You. A peace that fills our hearts so full there there is no room left for loneliness, hurt, sadness or selfishness. A peace to see that Christmas is not about us at all. In the year ahead, help us to be peacemakers and peacekeepers. Let us have peace in our hearts, whatever path You take us down - peace to know that Your plans and Your purpose are enough for us.

1 comment:

  1. When Jesus says that God will forgive us in the way we forgive others, I think he means it. We need to take that to heart.

    ReplyDelete