...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Things I Worshiped in 2010

I was talking back and forth today with a friend who shared some sin he has had in his life. I shared some of mine. A verse popped into my head, and here we are.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matthew 6:21. (That's King James to show you how serious I am).

I was telling my friend how something had gotten out of control in my life and had become idol worship. It really made me look back over the year and think about what else I was worshiping/serving this year besides God. Here's a list (you're not surprised):

-A relationship. You're still not surprised. I'll be brief. This is the biggest one. I even realized it, at one point saying, "you have become an idol in my life." I broke God's heart. What a horrible feeling.
-Trust. I idolized trust, wanting someone who would never lie or let me down. But we are all human, and we all do that stuff. Jesus is the only one who won't let me down.
-My job. I don't like putting this one. I love my job. It is multi-faceted and I love all its parts. But sometimes I let it consume me and I only blame myself. I can easily let it become my identity.
-My "to do" list. This is different from work, because it includes all kinds of stuff. Go here, get this, do that, see this. On and on.
-Lots of other material things. My Explorer. I've said I miss it about 1,000 times. Clothes. I've shopped a lot. New stuff for the house. Decorations, etc.

The things I have to be careful not to worship:

-My home. I just love it. Happy in a home for the first time in five years. But it's just a building. It's material.
-My education. I have focused on it so much this year. I want desperately to have my degree and I pushed too hard this year, with less than four weeks off since January.
-Other things I can't think of right now.

So back to the Bible verse. When that popped into my head, I immediately knew that is my verse for 2011. I want to live it out. I want to show God that He is my treasure and He has my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment