...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Shopping 2010

Our day of Christmas shopping, eating out and playing at the park got off to a slow start.  We slept in because Gavin was sick last night.  He had to come home early yesterday.  He was coughing and running fever.  Breathing treatments every four hours seem to be helping, and he got a lot of rest.

We left the house today around 1pm and he chose Applebee's for lunch.  Afterwards, he said, "I wish I hadn't chosen Applebee's."  Me too.

In the Applebee's parking lot, I dropped my phone on the ground and shattered the back of it.  Shattered.  As in, a glass shard was sticking out of my thumb.  That kind of shattered.  We went straight to the Apple store on Knox.  It.  Was.  Insane.  I had never seen it so packed.  All that being said, we got in and out in about 45 minutes, and it really wasn't a horrible experience.  The salesmen all seemed to appreciate my quick wit and charm.

From there, we hit up NP.  That's short for North Park, which I LOVE.  Picked up some Sperry Topsiders for G, swung by the Lego store, Gap and Bath & Body Works...and Gavin asked if this is the place with the dessert I love.  I was confused...yes, I love most desserts, but I didn't remember NP having anything special for me...and then he described it..."It's round, and it's like cake and it has a big glob of icing in the middle."  Ahh, yes.  The Banana Baby Bundt cake from Corner Bakery.  You had me at hello.  So we picked up one of those as well.  After NP, we went to Elizabeth Arden and picked up a few more gifts and headed home.

We finished off the evening with a movie.  I wanted Beauty & the Beast, he wanted Shrek.  He might be a "momma's boy", but he's still a guy.  We agreed to flip back and forth, but he had the remote, so you can guess how that went.  Then we made Muddy Buddies and wrapped gifts.

It was a great day, and I have been thinking it over...normally, I hate crowds.  I rank large crowds right up there with hating sin and the devil.  The crowds stress me out because I don't feel safe.  Too many strangers.  And while I don't hate traffic, I definitely don't like looking for a parking space for twenty minutes.  People were edgy.  They were either moving very slowly or very quickly as they walked through the mall.  It seemed as if everyone was impatient and hungry and had to go to the bathroom.  But Gavin and I had a great time.  We were in no hurry, had no agenda and felt like we were doing what we wanted.  It seemed that no sales person or stranger looked me in the eye until I said hello and asked them how they were.  I hope we made a difference in someone's day.  We were so chipper, it felt like we were spreading Christmas cheer.  I love spending my day off with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment