...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, May 2, 2011

The One About OBL

Can I just be honest?  Last night as I sat watching Celebrity Apprentice, I was completely aggravated when a bar started running across the bottom of the screen that the President was going to interrupt programming.  Someone was about to get "fired" and I didn't want to wait to find out who.  

I don't watch the news (or really much tv at all) so it's a wonder I didn't turn the tv off and go to bed.  I was going to watch CA up to the point that the Pres came on.

When they finally interrupted and broke the news about the death of OBL, I just sat there. It's kind of a big deal, and I didn't really know what to do.  I immediately thought of Gav and how to explain it all to him.  I didn't feel excited, I actually shook a little.  I started wondering what my friends and family were thinking.  It was late, so I just prayed and went to bed.  

Today, I explained to my son for the second time what a terrorist is.  I watched him watching the news and as they showed different headlines from different papers, I watched his eyebrows shoot up, and he gasped when he read, "Rot In Hell." I was a little surprised myself.  I had to tell him we could unpack that tonight when we get home, but that as Christians, we do not wish an eternity in Hell on anyone.  I have no idea how to navigate this.  

3 comments:

  1. They cut off the end of Brothers & Sisters right at a crucial part! And they didn't give us any warning! I'm so ticked at ABC right now!
    I haven't even attempted to tackle this subject with Garrett, but since he's not in school yet, it's doubtful he'll hear anything about it. Good luck explaining the headlines! I don't envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you're teaching your son not to wish anyone to go to Hell. I'm appalled at some of the reactions that have come with OBL's death: my news feed on Facebook is blowing up with racial slurs and anti-Muslim comments.

    I don't have children (surprise!), so I don't know if this will be much help, BUT: I think you should focus on teaching your son that many people were hurt by what happened ten years ago, and some of the things they say right now, they might not entirely mean. I also think you should teach your son that no matter what happens to him, it is not right to respond to violence or hurt with more violence or hurt (i.e. Don't wish Hell upon him even though he killed innocent people). You might even be able to apply that one (no violence for violence) thing to bullies...?

    Anyway, this is tricky. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late to the party on this but thought I'd comment anyway. Braden hasn't really seen any headlines, but he has been watching the news and asking about who OBL is (was) and why he was killed. We told him all about 9/11 and how some people in this world choose evil over good, and that Bin Laden was one of those people. We explained to him that our country has been trying to capture him ever since 9/11 and that even though it took a long time our military finally found him.

    He asked of if Osama was going to Hell since he did evil things. We told him that was God's decision, but based on what the Bible tells us that yes...he is probably in Hell. Like you, we explained to him that we don't want people to go to Hell and God doesn't either, but that people who do not follow God and obey His commands and the gospel of Christ reject the gift of eternal life in Heaven that God has offered us.

    He still wants to know more about Bin Laden, but I think he at least understands who he was, what he did and why he was killed.

    ReplyDelete