...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Thursday, January 6, 2011

iHomes and Reading

I got an iHome for Christmas.
For over a year now, I haven't had anything beside my bed to tell me the time. If I wanted to know what time it was I had to look at my phone. Needless to say, it wasn't often I looked at my phone in the middle of the night to check it.
But I really wanted an iHome, mainly to play music (loud), and planned on buying one after Christmas was over. Instead, a friend gave me one for Christmas. Nice gift, right? I have great friends.
Weird thing. It is driving me semi-crazy at night. I can't stop looking at it. I look at the time all night now. And I wake up A LOT. It has four brightness settings. "Not very bright," "bright," and "land your helicopter here." Then my favorite one: off. You can turn off the backlight completely. But then when it's off, I still know the clock is there, and I can't resist the urge to put it on "not very bright" so I can see the time. It's like that scene from Castaway where Tom Hanks keeps flicking his flash light off and on to look at his picture of Helen Hunt. Obsessive.
It is the same experience I have when I'm supposed to be reading a book and it sits on my nightstand mocking me. I hate being behind on reading, and when I'm trying to get through a book I carry it with me everywhere in hopes of grabbing a minute or two of solitude. I am currently reading three books: my Bible, Sun Stand Still & Loving God Up Close. I am on day six of my read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year plan. I'm doing great so far and six days may not sound like much, but it's good for me. I'm the worst about procrastinating, and I talk myself out of things, thinking I will do them later (or is that the definition of procrastinating?). I didn't want to write (or tweet) anything about resolutions, so I guess I made one goal this year. Only one. Read through my Bible. I'm pleasantly surprised that giving it the attention in deserves keeps my Bible from mocking me.
Our virtue for Kidstuf for the month is determination: seeing it's worth it to finish what you started. How apropos.

No comments:

Post a Comment