...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Friday, January 14, 2011

Sabbath

We met with Emily Prevost in staff meeting this week to talk about our up-coming series on Sabbath. She has a Ph.D. and I have no idea how old she is but I loved her and thought she was so cute and felt like her mom.

As she unpacked this idea (commandment) of observing the Sabbath, I began to feel a little overwhelmed. Sabbath for me should be Monday, since that is my day off.  But I realized right away that I will have six hours of school on Monday's beginning in a week. That doesn't feel very Sabbaticalish.  I'm giving 9pm Friday through 9pm Saturday a trial run.

She had lots of ideas and guidelines and suggestions for how to observe this day without it being legalistic.  I am going to try and get into the routine of it before we roll out the series.  It's going to be hard.  Sometime tomorrow I'm going to want to go get a diet coke from Sonic.  And you know what that means. Exchanging money. Which is a no-no.  The hard part is going to be making the guidelines and the conviction I will feel if I break them.

I don't have my notes with me right now, but the thing I came away with was: Sabbath doesn't just happen. We have to plan it.  I'm looking forward to figuring this out.

I like the idea of starting Sabbath with a feast (tonight I started it with a large Diet Coke).  And finding a special way to end it.  And love the idea of sharing this with Gavin.  There will be more on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment