...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Thursday, January 27, 2011

On Jesus and Stuff

I read a lot of blogs.  Mostly through Pulse, my favorite app for iPad.  I read them to stay up to date on technology, music, arts and such, but mostly, I read them looking for inspiration.  I love having "Aha!" moments, like I did when I read this: http://www.blainehogan.com/post/1425158676/landing-planes
But lately I've noticed what feels like people saying things so for sure and certain, that I wonder what makes a person an "authority" on something.  When does someone become and expert?  Can all the Ph.D.s in the world make you an expert on Jesus?  Do we have it all figured out?  Or do we just sound like we think we do?

I'm asking myself these questions tonight: what did Jesus' type of forgiveness look like?  Was it, "I forgive you but I'm never gonna look at you again?"  Was it, "I forgive you, but I'm going to remind you of it every five minutes?" What does Jesus' grace look like?  What does his compassion look like?  I think I know what it would look and feel like, and I hope I can emulate that, but I know I often don't.  Let me not speak with such authority that I sound like I'm not still a sinner. 

I ain't no better than anyone else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment