...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day 2011

Staff had lunch at the Pastor's house yesterday to welcome a new member to the team.  As I was driving out there, it was already snowing.  I don't have great tires, and we slid twice.  When I got there, I texted Amy to see if they would come get G and me (their house was close, roads not as dangerous).  So after lunch was over, she and KW picked us up.  We had a fun evening just being with them.  We really like packing up and staying with them whenever the opportunity comes along.  G & Jeb got along great, played in the snow, made videos and camped out in the den.  Good times.

I woke up grumpy today.  Short tempered.  Not sure why.  When I feel this way, my prayer is just this: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control...over and over.

We are not equipped for snow in Texas.  Maybe that was why I was grumpy.  I thought it was beautiful and peaceful but messy and wet.  Our clothes aren't right for it.  Jeans get wet, and wearing wet jeans is a hell clip for me.  Our gloves aren't right for it either.  Most of them are knit.  G notices none of this, or if he does, he doesn't care.


After last February's record 11 inches of snow, I've had to tell him several times that we probably won't ever see snow like that again.  That it might not even snow at all this year.  So much for that.  Yesterday's snow was great.  Lots of it, and it lasted, and he's had two days of playing in it.  Today we put together a jigsaw puzzle, had a snowball fight and drank hot chocolate.  What started out as a grumpy day is ending very nicely.

When we were out playing this evening, it started snowing again.  Small flakes, as opposed to yesterday's giant ones...and it was so quite and peaceful.  When I think of the "Peace of Christmas" I always think of snow...when Jeff Berry was with us several weeks ago, he and Julie sang this song:


You could've come like a mighty storm
With all the strength of a hurricane
You could've come like a forest fire
With the power of heaven in Your flame


But You came like a winter snow
Quiet and soft and slow
Falling from the sky in the night
To the earth below


You could've swept in like a tidal wave
Or in an ocean to ravish our hearts
You could've come through like a roaring flood
To wipe away the things we've scarred


Oh oh but You came like a winter snow
You were quiet You were soft and slow
Falling from the sky in the night
To the earth below


Beautiful.  Maybe my favorite song of Christmas.  I'm singing it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment