...to all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning. Isaiah 61:3

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The One About Turning 33

OR - The One About Things I Don't Do Now That I'm 33

32 needed a makeover.  Badly.  Today, although it is my birthday, isn't really a turning point, but it makes a good benchmark - something like, I wasn't stupid anymore after I turned 33.  Yeah, that sounds good!

1. I don't do drama.  My life is drama-free these days, and I love it that way.  I've learned how to see drama when it's coming, and how to side-step it.  Life is quiet.

2.  I don't text and drive.  I find it almost impossible.  For my own safety (and the safety of others) I've almost stopped completely.  (I do still talk and drive...I'm not THAT old).

3. I don't eat sugar or fried food.  Ok, that one's not true, but I really wish it was.  I'm eating a bag of cinnamon bears right now.  But I really don't eat much fried stuff.

4. I don't Facebook, and I don't Twitter.  Ok, that's not true either, but I'm thinking very seriously of giving them up.  They don't add any real value to my life.  I'm all for community and such, but I don't like how time consuming social media is.  I do occasionally get info about music and events and such off the Twitter, but I'm not sure it's enough.  Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day and I remembered what it was like to enjoy being outside, good music, and...well...skipping class.  And I kept singing this song by Hank Jr (I'm For Love):

The cities against the county, The county's against the state
The state is against the government, And the highways still ain’t paved
The banker’s against the farmer, The farmer’s against the wall, 
Doctors against me smoking, And the devil's against us all

But I’m for love and I’m for happiness
And I’m for “if you don’t like it can’t you just let it pass.”
And I’m for turning off the tube and turning down the lights
‘Cause I’m for nothing else but me and you tonight


Ok, the lyrics don't fit that well, but I like the song and I've been singing it.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to make a rude comment about you being as old as me now, but then I remembered I'm 34. They say memory is the first to go...

    I need to do 3 & 4, but I like sugar, fried food and Facebook too much. Even better...fried sugar while Facebooking. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...I also need to do 2. I've mostly quit that nonsense, but not completely.

    ReplyDelete